Exclusive: A look at the finished units at the Maverick Apartments
Originally built in 1922, the Maverick Building is ready to show off its new look.
The renovation and restoration is nearly complete. The building will feature 86 units with studio apartments at about 300 square feet to two-bedroom units, which are about 800 square feet.
The Maverick was built by the estate of George M. Maverick, a son of Samuel Maverick, a signer of the TexasDeclaration of Independence, on the site of the former Maverick Hotel. The family had substantial real estate holdings near the Alamo and was involved in the early development of Houston Street. The current structure was an office building until the 1970s when downtown commercial real estate declined. The building was vacant throughout the 1980s and early 1990s.
G.W. Mitchell Construction, builders of the La Villita and the Witte Museum, handled the renovation with Angela Hines, Senior Project Manager leading the efforts.